VC - Joe Caramagna
Joelle Jones, Rachelle Rosenberg, Kirki Fagan, Nen Chang , Pasqual Ferry , Frank D'Armata
Apr 13th, 2016
Lance Hunter's undercover gig at the London Hellfire Club has gone south and it's up to Mockingbird to rescue him, save the Queen of England, and fight off a passel of kinkily clad sadist toffs. Plus zombies! And corgis!
I’ll be honest. I believed Chelsea Cain’s Mockingbird #1 was a fluke. A one and done hit that couldn’t possibly be as good the second time. Well, I was wrong! Cain kills it here with another funny, witty and well plotted story featuring our favorite SHIELD AGENT (ok, maybe second favorite-Black Widow still kicks ass) in another wacky adventure that seems to hint at some of the cause leading to Bobbi’s predicament at the end of issue #1. While Chelsea continues to LOST-style this script, Kate Niemczyk takes it all to a new level with her extremely expressionistic art. Characters feel alive, and the jokes hit the mark perfectly. Bobbi has infiltrated the Hellfire Club in hopes of saving her shield partner (and potential love interest) Lance Hunter and of course nothing goes right. So what happens when you get two SHIELD agents wearing BDSM gear at a Hellfire Club initiation?! Well you’ll have to read to find out! Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.
- The Hey!: Another bang up job by Cain and her team. I only wish the new Mockingbird tv series on ABC will be even remotely as clever as this book.
- The EH: There are moments when so much is trying to be placed into small panels it can feel a little muddled, but it isn’t too distracting.
- The WHAT?!: Learning the proper technique to kicking down a door.
- Who should read this series?: Everyone! But seriously it’s a fun kickass story featuring a very strong female lead.
- Why should you buy this book?: The story could really be perfect as its own thing, but seeing as it’s part of something bigger, it’s probably a good idea to get this bad boy!