Leandro Fernandez, Cris Peter
April 06, 2016
Melissa gets drawn deeper into a strange hidden world and realizes that her affair with Orlando isn't just about sex. She discovers more about the Discipline, their weird enemy known as the Stalkers, and her own frightening potential.
So I really enjoy Peter Milligan’s storytelling and I like Leandro Fernandez’s artwork but for whatever the reason, I just can’t keep up with this series. It seems to be full of erratic pacing, forced use of sexual situations for the sake of having them, and a plot that just doesn’t keep up much interest. In short you have what appears to be The Discipline; some sort of sect made of inhuman beings that through sexual encounters awaken an inner essence of a person. Melissa is the latest to be brought into the discipline, and Orlando will be using sex as a way to get this stereotypical rich housewife to be… something(?). However, the bad guys (The Stalkers), seemingly also have something in mind for Melissa. What that is, well I’m not sure I will find out, as most likely this series will be taking a back seat for the next few months.
- The Hey!: Fernandez artwork is still strong here, and nothing feels too muddled together in the very tight panel layouts. Cris Peter’s colors help craft a noir-ish environment as well.
- The Eh: Essentially the story. It seems to be mixing 50 Shades of Grey, with Twilight, with a love for classic art yet it never really commits to any of these and sort of relies heavily on just being super sexual to keep the story moving.
- The What?: There’s a sequence in a BDSM club that is pretty graphic, but captured beautiful by Fernandez.
- Who should read this series?: If you enjoy any of the stories mentioned in the “eh” section you might get into it. There’s something different here about sex and power but it could easily not hit home for a lot of readers.
- Why should you buy this book?: If you enjoy sex and nudity and are an adult, well you can definitely buy this book. There might be something deeper here that I’m missing, but maybe others can enjoy.