Many predicted massive success for Pixar's latest film, FINDING DORY, but few predicted the film would do as well as it's been doing. For the third weekend in a row, the animated flick finds itself at the top of both the worldwide and domestic box office. As of this writing, the film is just short of $550 million worldwide. In addition, the movie has grossed over $380 domestically, making the second highest domestic film in Pixar's history, behind only TOY STORY 3, which I expect it will surpass before its theatrical run is up. Needless to say, DORY is certainly living up to the success of the first film.
While DORY may have had a strong third weekend, that doesn't mean the films coming in at number two and three domestically aren't experiencing success of their own. LEGEND OF TARZAN and THE PURGE: ELECTION YEAR both exceeded expectations for their premiere weekends as well, taking in $45.5 million and $34.7 million, respectively, over the course of the four-day weekend. Sadly, Steven Spielberg's latest film, THE BFG will be rounding starting its theater run with a $22.3 million debut -- not the strongest of starts, especially for a Spielberg joint.
Below are the comScore box office results for both worldwide and domestic box offices for Friday-Sunday (hence the differences between them and the numbers I've shared above, which also account for American Independence Day).
The top 12 worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, July 3, are below.
- Finding Dory - Disney - $76.3M
- Legend Of Tarzan, The - Warner Bros. - $56.9M
- Independence Day: Resurgence - 20th Century Fox - $56.7M
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The - Paramount Pictures - $31.3M
- Purge: Election Year, The - Universal - $31.0M
- Central Intelligence - Universal - $26.1M
- Now You See Me 2 - Multiple - $23.8M
- BFG, The - Disney - $23.5M
- Ice Age: Collision Course - 20th Century Fox - $20.0M
- Conjuring 2, The - Warner Bros. - $16.9M
- Bounty Hunters - Multiple - $16.4M
- Me Before You - Warner Bros. - $13.0M
The top 12 domestic weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, July 3, are below.
- Finding Dory - Disney - $41.9M
- Legend Of Tarzan, The - Warner Bros. - $38.1M
- Purge: Election Year, The - Universal - $30.9M
- BFG, The - Disney - $19.6M
- Independence Day: Resurgence - 20th Century Fox - $16.5M
- Central Intelligence - Warner Bros. - $12.3M
- Shallows, The - Sony - $9.0M
- Free State Of Jones - STX Entertainment - $4.1M
- Conjuring 2, The - Warner Bros. - $3.9M
- Now You See Me 2 - Lionsgate - $3.0M
- Swiss Army Man - A24 - $1.4M
- Our Kind Of Traitor - Roadside Attractions - $1.0M
Don't forget to share this post on your Facebook wall and with your Twitter followers! Just hit the buttons on the top of this page.
SOURCE: comScore, Box Office Mojo