Some unanswered questions are starting to come to light.
Thanks to Disney releasing the screenplay to members of the Writers Guild of America for awards considerationâ€”it revealed some lines improvisation and deleted scenes from the film.
These notes give us a better understanding of â€œStar Wars: The Force Awakensâ€ and possibly some hints into the future episodes of episodes eight and nine.
Please note that the following information is a SPOILER ALERT for those who still havenâ€™t seen the movie. Although it is not confirmed at this time as a legitimate, it contains info that may spoil the film. Turn away now if you must or continue reading if you choose the dark side.
- Luke Skywalker is on the planet named â€œAhch-To.â€ It is described as an ocean planet with black rock islands and green trees. However, it should be noted that â€œAhchâ€ means â€œbrotherâ€ in Hebrew. It could be a placeholder name for the planet in the script until the next episode. But, it is a direct reference to Leia sending Rey to find her brother.
- Luke Skywalkerâ€™s mighty stare at Rey is described in the script as â€œkindness in his eyes, but thereâ€™s something tortured too.â€ The screenplay continued that Luke â€œdoesnâ€™t need to ask her who she is, or what she is doing here.â€ So the Jedi Master already knew about Reyâ€™s mission on to the planet. The script ended with â€œHold on Luke Skywalkerâ€™s incredible face, amazed and conflicted at what he sees, as our music builds, the promise of an adventure, just beginningâ€¦â€
- First image from Reyâ€™s vision after touching Lukeâ€™s lightsaber was of a hallway in Cloud City. It also mentions a â€œmechanical breathing soundâ€ and â€œdisembodied voices fill the air.â€
- The script confirms to â€œsee a burning temple at nightâ€ in the background of the image of Luke Skywalker and R2-D2.
- In Reyâ€™s vision image of a Jedi being struck down is not of Constable Zuvio, but of â€œa warriorâ€ being stabbed by â€œa fiery lightsaber.â€
- It is confirmed that in the final Reyâ€™s vision image that it is of Kylo Ren and the rest of the Knights of Ren. The screenplay read, â€œWe pivot around her to reveal Kylo Ren and six other Knights of Ren, who flank him.â€
- Young Rey was left with Unkar Plutt on Jakku. If you couldnâ€™t tell from the hand and voice, the flashback scene is confirmed by the script. It read, â€œA little girl. Rey as a child. She is sobbing, histerical. Unkar Pluttâ€™s meaty hand holds her thin arm. She is on Jakku, watching a starship fly into the sky, abandoning her. Rey yells, â€˜No, come back!â€™ and Unkar Plutt respons, â€˜Quiet, girl!â€™ as the ship flies towards the desert sun, which is strangely eclipsed, as if being eaten by darkness.â€ It means Rey may revisit Unkar Plutt to learn of the secrets in future sequels.
- Kylo Ren being so emo is explained by his horrific actions. The screenplay noted â€œKylo Ren is somehow weakened by this wicked actâ€ and then his â€œshock is broken only when Chewbecca cries out in agony.â€ The novelization explained Snoke believed Darth Vaderâ€™s weakness was the love for his son, Luke Skywalker. By killing his father, Snoke thought Kylo Ren will be stronger with the Dark Side. Nope, it made him a wuss.
- Rey is being pulled to the Dark Side. After Han Soloâ€™s death and Finnâ€™s injury, it was revealed that Rey has some sensitivity to the Dark Side. The screenplay wrote, â€œAnd she could kill himâ€”right now with one vicious strike! But she stops. Realizing she stands on a greater edge than even the cliffâ€”the edge of the dark side. The earth shakes. The earth splits. A gully forms.â€ Itâ€™s also noted in the novelization that Rey hears a voice telling her to â€œkill him.â€ The voice is described as â€œamorphous, unidentifiable, rawâ€ and powered by â€œpure vengeful emotion.â€ And the audio book it is revealed to be Supreme Leader Snoke.
Hopefully that brings some answers to light. Donâ€™t worry, Episode XIII will be in theaters 16 months from now on May 26, 2017.
May for theForce be with you.