comScore today announced the official worldwide weekend box office estimates for the weekend of April 09, 2017, as compiled by the company’s theatrical measurement services.
The Boss Baby managed to stay at the top for its second weekend in a row by the skin of its teeth. It dropped 47.6 percent, and managed to take in $26.3M, narrowly beating out Beauty and the Beast, which took in $25 million in its fourth weekend.
Also of note is the fact that Beauty and the Beast is rapidly approaching $1 billion worldwide, and will likely hit that milestone later by the coming weekend. If this wasn’t proof enough that Disney’s strategy of remaking their old animated hits for live-action is a money machine, I don’t know what is.
Both Smurfs: The Lost Village and Going in Style came up short this weekend, only taking in $14 million and $12.5 million, respectively. Though while the numbers may be dismal compared to most big films these days, both largely did around as expected, and given their smaller budgets, they’ll likely turn a profit when all said and done.
Click here to see how the weekend's box office compared to our very own Weekend Warrior's predictions this past week!
Now let’s take a look at the worldwide numbers:
comScore’s Senior Media Analyst Paul Dergarabedian commented, "Fox’s PG-rated The Boss Baby tops the global box office earning $63.8 million in 47 territories and brings the animated hit to nearly $200 million worldwide. Notably, Disney’s Beauty And The Beast adds another $61.1 million in its fourth weekend to push its global total close to $1 billion."
The top 10 domestic weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, April 09, are below.
- Boss Baby, The - 20th Century Fox - $26.3M
- Beauty And The Beast - Disney - $25.0M
- Smurfs: The Lost Village - Sony - $14.0M
- Going in Style - Warner Bros. - $12.5M
- Ghost in the Shell - Paramount - $7.4M
- Power Rangers - Lionsgate - $6.2M
- Kong: Skull Island - Warner Bros. - $5.8M
- Logan - 20th Century Fox - $4.1M
- Get Out - Universal - $4.0M
- Case For Christ, The - Purse Flix - $3.9M
The top 10 worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, April 09, are below.
- Boss Baby, The - 20th Century Fox - $63.8M
- Beauty And The Beast - Disney - $61.1M
- Ghost In The Shell - Paramount Pictures - $48.6M
- Smurfs: The Lost Village - Sony - $36M
- Kong: Skull Island - Warner Bros. - $21.8M
- Going in Style - Warner Bros. - $16.8M
- Power Rangers - Lionsgate - $12.3M
- Devotion of Suspect X, The - Multiple - $9.2M
- Life - Sony - $8.2M
- Logan - 20th Century Fox - $6.8M
What do you think of this week’s box office? Let us know your thoughts down below!
Don't forget to share this post on your Facebook wall and with your Twitter followers! Just hit the buttons on the top of this page.
SOURCE: comScore, Box Office Mojo