An Instagram user has shared a pic with the world that reveals the new standing display for X-MEN: APOCALYPSE that’s going to adorn a theater near you.
Check it out, then join me afterward for some analysis.
A couple of off-the-cuff observations:
- Apocalypse looks huge, and much more like the way he’s been depicted in books. For the sake of the display, and for promotion, they may have done this just for effect and he’s not going to be that size for the entire film. But it does show that the filmmakers know what people think when they think of Apocalypse.
- They’ve definitely changed his hue. He’s more blue now, as opposed to that purple we saw last year that had him looking like Ivan Ooze.
- They’re capitalizing on Quicksilver’s scene-stealing turn in X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST by putting him here, so close to centerstage.
- His increased screen-time could definitely be interesting for more casual fans, who don’t get that the X-Men are part of a different cinematic world than The Avengers.
- Jennifer Lawrence isn’t blue. Guess they want to get us used to the fact that she didn’t want to do the makeup as often for this film, and probably threatened to bludgeon one of Bryan Singer’s dogs with one of her Oscars if he made her.
- Olivia Munn.
- This Apocalypse looks more like the CG-enhanced version that leaked to the net a few months ago, claiming to be Singer’s attempt to appease fans unhappy with the initial design.
- People are gonna bitch about the black suits.
- This is going to be the first “big-time” X-MEN flick that doesn’t feature Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine as a promotional tool. X-MEN: FIRST CLASS didn’t either, but that was something of a smaller film;a soft reboot that wasn’t being marketed as some sort of major event film like this one is.
That’s all I’ve got.
What do you think?
X-MEN: APOCALYPSE comes out on May 27.