It seems that almost every day there is an event covered through that brings back the memories from the Boston Marathon Bombings. When the announcement came that Peter Berg was making a movie about the events on what happened in 2013 some people had reservations because they felt it was too soon for the people that went through the horror. Then Mark Wahlberg came on board and it seemed that if anyone was going to star in a movie about this event it had to be somebody from Boston that understood the complexity of making this movie. It would be the third time Mark Wahlberg would team up with director Peter Berg with the first two movies being Lone Survivor and Deep Water Horizon. This movie would be different though for Mark because this would be about the city he grew up in and the people that adore him. With meticulous care Berg and Wahlberg created a movie that as close as to the actual events as possible. Then just three years after the Boston Marathon Bombings Patriots Day was released in theaters to rave reviews. This Wednesday is the release of Patriots Day on Blu Ray and 4K with plenty of bonus content to give the viewers an extensive background of the events of the Boston Marathon Bombing.
Supplemental Material Review
- The Boston Strong: Stories of Courage This piece is a three part documentary that takes a closer look of Dr. Jeffry Kalish, Dun Meng, and Sgt. Jeff Pugliese who played pivotal roles in saving lives during the events of the Boston Marathon Bombing. Dr. Kalish gives an in depth recollection of the hospital wards and how in a time of chaos outside there was order and calm in the surgical rooms. Dun Meng gives a brief account of the horrific events while he was held hostage by the Tsarnaev brothers and what was going through his mind when he escaped and ran for safety. Sgt. Jeff Pugliese takes you to the exact location where the shootout between Boston PD and the Tsarnaev brothers and shows you how lucky he is to be alive. The common message of the three accounts was how they didn’t want to be remembered as heroes just as Bostonian willing to do anything to protect their city.
- The Boston Bond: Recounting the Tale This extra content includes interviews and the interactions of the cast and crew with the city when they were shooting there. It is more of a story of why the movie was made and why it could only be made in Boston. As moviegoers we sometimes forget the harsh realities of the true events that the movie is based on. We forget that there are still people greatly affected by the events like the Boston Marathon bombing and movies like Patriots Day can impact those lives greatly. Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg give an insightful view of the delicate nature to making Patriot’s Day.
- The Real Patriots: The Local Heroes' Stories This starts off with Peter Berg talking about what kind of movie he likes to make but where this extra content shines is the interviews from various witnesses and survivors of the event
- The Cast Remembers Out of all the extra content on the Blu-Ray this one had the least impact for me. It is a short snapshot of various cast members recalling what they were doing during the Boston Marathon Bombing.
- Actors Meet Their Real Life Counterparts: A 2 Part Series This extra content offers insightful dialogue between John Goodman and Ed Davis, and Jimmy O. Yang and Dun Meng. It gives the audience a small look at the work it takes by the actors to understand their real life counterpart.
- Researching the Day Another amazing extra bonus material offered with the movie showcases interviews detailing with the production both in general terms and also more specifically in accurately recreating events. This content shows the amount of depth and research Peter Berg and his production crew went into making this film
Making a movie about an event as tragic as the Boston Marathon Bombing needs to be made with care and sensitivity. After watching Patriot’s Day in theaters it was evident that Peter Berg and Mark Wahlberg did not make this movie without doing their due diligence. Patriots Day is well made and does an incredible job at staying faithful to the real events of the story. So often in Hollywood a lot of the insignificant characters get written out of the story and the audience never really gets the full story of historic events. This movie and DVD does a great job of telling the stories of characters you would have never known about from the national news outlets. In todays news and society we are more enamored with the villains and criminals than the actual heroes of events. Instead of wasting more time on the Tsarnaev brothers the supplementary material focuses on the true heroes of the Boston Marathon Bombings. Overall, Patriots Day, is an amazing movie about heroism, patriotism, and love for your community and with all the bonus material that comes with it makes it a Must Have in your movie collection.
The Patriots Day 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, and Digital HD releases have over 90 minutes of bonus material including five behind-the-scenes featurettes: “Boston Strong: True Stories of Courage” tells the true stories of three first responders, “The Boston Bond: Recounting the Tale” reveals, through the eyes of the cast and crew, how a city that was challenged by tragedy rose above it to thrive; “The Real Patriots: The Local Heroes’ Stories” highlighting the real heroes from the marathon bombing; “The Cast Remembers,” featuring Mark Wahlberg and the cast discussing what drew them to the film; “Researching the Day,” showing how Peter Berg worked with an FBI technical advisor and researcher to tell this story as accurately as possible, as well as a two-part series showing the actors meeting their real-life counterparts. The Patriots Day DVD bonus material includes the “Researching the Day” as well as”Boston Strong: True Stories of Courage” featurettes. Patriots Day will be available on 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack, and DVD for $42.99, $39.99 and $29.95, respectively.