Much to the surprise of nobody, last weekend’s The Fate of the Furious had little problem taking first place this weekend. This weekend saw the release of four films — Born in China, Unforgettable, Phoenix Forgotten, and Free Fire. As our own Weekend Warrior predicted last week, they none of them stood much chance against arctic submarine chases. All of the films — with the exception of Born in China — underperformed substantially, clearing the way for the usual suspects taking the lead once again.
Fate of the Furious took in $38.7 million. While it still managed to retain first place with little trouble, it dropped a hefty 60.8% in its second weekend, which is not an insubstantial drop. Given its big blockbuster nature, however, it wasn’t exactly unexpected. Plus, given that the film is already creeping on $1 billion worldwide, there is no mistaking this is a huge success for the long-running franchise.
Of all films, The Boss Baby is the most surprising. It’s held on strong in that number two spot for its second weekend, again, coming out above Beauty and the Beast. Its worldwide cume is around $360 million worldwide, which is pretty darn solid for a film that was panned across the board. Given that the only other animated family film is Smurfs, it’s understandable that it would stay strong.
In third place is Disney’s juggernaut Beauty and the Beast, which just crossed $1.1 billion worldwide. Despite consistently coming in behind The Boss Baby, there is no mistaking its success. Disney will spend the rest of their live-action remakes trying to replicate the success of this one.
The top 3 domestic weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, April 23, are below.
- Fate Of The Furious, The - Universal - $38.7M
- Boss Baby, The - 20th Century Fox - $12.8M
- Beauty And The Beast - Disney - $10.0M
- Born in China - Disney - $5.1M
- Going in Style - Warner Bros. - $5M
- Smurfs: The Lost Village - Sony - $4.9M
- Unforgettable - Warner Bros. - $4.8M
- Gifted - Fox Searchlight - $4.5M
- Promise, The - Open Road - $4.1M
- Lost City of Z, The - Bleecker Street $2.1M
The top 3 worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, April 23, are below.
- Fate Of The Furious, The - Universal - $202.1M
- Boss Baby, The - 20th Century Fox - $42.8M
- Beauty And The Beast - Disney - $32.9M
- Smurfs: The Lost Village - Sony - $26.3M
- Going in Style - Warner Bros. - $9.6M
- Mr. Pride vs Miss Prejudice - Multiple - $7.7M
- Unforgettable - Warner Bros. - $6.5M
- Born in China - Disney - $5.2M
- Ghost in the Shell - Paramount - $4.6M
- Gifted - Multiple - $4.5M
What did you think of this week’s box office numbers? Let us know in the comments down below!
Don't forget to share this post on your Facebook wall and with your Twitter followers! Just hit the buttons on the top of this page.
SOURCES: comScore, Box Office Mojo