Marvel, DC Comics, Image, Dark Horse, and IDW are some of the comic book industries’ top publishers. It is in the pages of their comic books that we get a lot of our favorite series and films. To many times comic books are seen as kid’s books instead of the amazing stories that can entertain people of all ages. With 2019 now well underway, Diamond Comic Distributors has released the numbers for 2018 as far as sales and most sold comic books. You can check out the top lists below.
Not much of a surprise at what book is at number one with DC Entertainment celebrating it’s landmark issue #1000 of Action Comics. The eighty page giant issue featured an all-star line up of DC talent including Jim Lee, Geoff Johns, Tom King, Dan Jurgens and so many others which of course included the arrival of Brian Michael Bendis to DC Comics. DC also featured two other titles in the top ten single issues of 2018 including Batman #50 at number three and Batman Who Laughs #1 at number nine.
The rest of the list was dominated by seven titles from Marvel Comics, four of which were written by the same writer Dan Slott including Amazing Spider-Man issues #800, #1, #798 and #799 as well as the long awaited return of the Fantastic Four. Marvel also owns the top graphic novel of the year with The Infinity Gauntlet, the classic crossover event from Jim Starlin, George Perez and Rom Lim that has paved the way for the storyline Marvel Studios is currently wrapping up in this years’ Avengers: Endgame film.
Overall single comic book sales went up 3.3% from last year, while the sale of graphic novels fell 6.6% from the previous year. When you combine the two, sales were up slightly in 2018 by .6%. Marvel Comics continues to be the top publisher with a 38.24% Dollar Market Share and a 40.4% Unit Market Share. DC of course came in second with a 30.04 Dollar Market Share and a 33.82% Unit Market Share. The numbers have not changed too much from 2017, to say that anyone really made a significant jump or decline.
Here are the Charts from Diamond via Newsarama:
2018 TOP COMIC BOOK PUBLISHERS:
1. Marvel Comics – DOLLAR SHARE 38.24%/UNIT SHARE 40.40%
2. DC Entertainment – DOLLAR SHARE 30.04%/UNIT SHARE 33.82%
3. Image Comics – DOLLAR SHARE 9.93%/UNIT SHARE 9.90%
4. IDW Publishing – DOLLAR SHARE 3.83%/UNIT SHARE 3.30%
5. Dark Horse Comics – DOLLAR SHARE 2.92%/UNIT SHARE 2.10%
6. BOOM! Studios – DOLLAR SHARE 2.24%/UNIT SHARE 1.90%
7. Dynamite Entertainment – DOLLAR SHARE 1.86%/UNIT SHARE 1.73%
8. Viz Media – DOLLAR SHARE 1.22%/UNIT SHARE 0.46%
9. Titan Comics – DOLLAR SHARE 0.87%/UNIT SHARE 0.61%
10. Oni Press – DOLLAR SHARE 0.83%/UNIT SHARE 0.54%
Other Non-Top 10 – DOLLAR SHARE 8.01%/UNIT SHARE 5.25%
2018 TOP SINGLE ISSUE COMIC BOOK:
1. Action Comics No. 1000 (DC Entertainment)
2. Amazing Spider-Man No. 800 (Marvel Entertainment)
3. Batman No. 50 (DC Entertainment)
4. Fantastic Four No. 1 (Marvel Entertainment)
5. Amazing Spider-Man No. 1 (Marvel Entertainment)
6. Return of Wolverine No. 1 (Marvel Entertainment)
7. Venom No. 1 (Marvel Entertainment)
8. Amazing Spider-Man No. 798 (Marvel Entertainment)
9. Batman Who Laughs No. 1 (DC Entertainment)
10. Amazing Spider-Man No. 799 (Marvel Entertainment)
2018 TOP GRAPHIC NOVELS AND COLLECTIONS:
1. The Infinity Gauntlet (Marvel Entertainment)
2. Saga Vol. 9 (Image Comics)
3. Saga Vol. 1 (Image Comics)
4. Saga Vol. 8 (Image Comics)
5. Action Comics: 80 Years of Superman (DC Entertainment)
6. The Walking Dead Vol. 9: Lines We Cross (Image Comics)
7. Paper Girls Vol. 1 (Image Comics)
8. Batman: White Knight (DC Entertainment)
9. Dark Nights: Metal Deluxe Edition (DC Entertainment)
10. Monstress Vol. 1 (Image Comics)
Are you surprised by any of these figures? What was your favorite title of 2018? Let us know in the comment section below!
ALSO SEE: FIRST LOOK AT THE ARKHAM KNIGHT AND COVERS FOR DETECTIVE COMICS #1000
Don’t forget to share this post on your Facebook wall and with your Twitter followers! Just hit the buttons on the top of this page.