I am going to go ahead and get this out of the way, I loved The Last Jedi and I am not ashamed to say it. I was one of those fans who thought Rian Johnson’s interpretation was a breath of fresh air for the Star Wars franchise.
The Last Jedi, the eighth installment of the Star Wars Skywalker saga, was received early on with high praise, to only be drowned out by harsh criticism from die-hard Star Wars fans. Director Rian Johnson took most of the criticism for his big changes to the traditional Star Wars story, especially for his interpretation of Luke Skywalker.
While there are plenty of reviews, and critiques, of the movie that you can find anywhere on the web. The debate is whether you should invest your money in the home version of The Last Jedi.
The home release of The Last Jedi not only offers the cinematic masterpiece in Blu-Ray or 4k, you can access multiple features that give you a great behind the scenes look of the creation of this movie that would please any Star Wars fan.
The most rewarding bonus features for me was the Balance of the Force extra that gives you a better insight in the mind of Rian Johnson and his reasoning for the interpretation of the Force he used.
The hidden gem of all the bonus content though is the score only version of The Last Jedi featuring the great John Williams musical masterpiece. I have found this bonus feature to be a perfect opportunity to have this on in the background while working or when you just want to listen to the music from the movie.
This DVD is an easy choice for almost every Star Wars fan out there. The real question is if the casual fan will want to pick up this movie. My recommendation is an enthusiastic YES!
The Last Jedi stars Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, Kelly Marie Tran, Laura Dern with Frank Oz, and Benicio Del Toro. Star Wars: The Last Jedi is written and directed by Rian Johnson and produced by Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman. J.J. Abrams, Tom Karnowski and Jason McGatlin are the executive producers.
Listed below are the Bonus features included in the DVD along with some extra clips that were released for the DVD:
- The Director and the Jedi — Go deep behind the scenes with writer-director Rian Johnson on an intimate and personal journey through the production of the movie–and experience what it’s like to helm a global franchise and cultural phenomenon.
- Balance of the Force — Explore the mythology of the Force and why Rian Johnson chose to interpret its role in such a unique way.
- Scene Breakdowns
- Lighting the Spark: Creating the Space Battle — Get a close-up look at the epic space battle, from the sounds that help propel the action, through the practical and visual effects, to the characters who bring it all to life.
- Snoke and Mirrors — Motion capture and Star Wars collide as the filmmakers take us through the detailed process of creating the movie’s malevolent master villain.
- Showdown on Crait — Break down everything that went into creating the stunning world seen in the movie’s final confrontation, including the interplay between real-word locations and visual effects, reimagining the walkers, designing the crystal foxes, and much more.
- Andy Serkis Live! (One Night Only) — Writer-director Rian Johnson presents two exclusive sequences from the movie featuring Andy Serkis’ riveting, raw on-set performance before his digital makeover into Snoke.
- Deleted Scenes — With an introduction and optional commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
- Audio Commentary — View the movie with in-depth feature audio commentary by writer-director Rian Johnson.
* Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer