comScore today announced the official worldwide weekend box office estimates for the weekend of May 07, 2017, as compiled by the companyâ€™s theatrical measurement services.
No surprises here. Marvel Studiosâ€™ latest entry in its cinematic universe, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 has hit theaters. After facing a fairly solid reception from critics, a solid marketing campaign, and a decent amount of positive early buzz, the flick took in an amazing $145 million domestically in its opening weekend. The number is on the higher end of the $130-$150 million estimates, though is a solid $15.3 million short of what our Weekend Warrior expected the film to bring in.
The competition was abysmal. Fate of the Furious has pretty much already run its course, taking in a paltry $8.5 million, and The Boss Baby has finally seemed to have lost its momentum, taking in $6.2 million. With only King Arthur acting as Guardiansâ€™ main competition next weekend, it seems like itâ€™ll likely coast to a profitable run for the next couple weeks.
Now letâ€™s look at the filmâ€™s handprint worldwide.
comScoreâ€™s Senior Media Analyst Paul Dergarabedian commented, â€œDisney/Marvelâ€™s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 had a terrific global weekend of $268.8 million, including $145 million from its first place debut in North America for a massive worldwide overall total of $427.6 million in just 13 days of release. This pushes the Marvel Cinematic Universe past $11 billion in combined global grosses, from 15 films since the MCUâ€™s inception in 2008.”
The top 10 domestic weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, May 07, are below.
- Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 – Disney – $145.0M
- Fate Of The Furious, The – Universal – $8.5M
- Boss Baby, The – 20th Century Fox – $6.2M
- How to be a Latin Lover – Lionsgate – $5.3M
- Beauty and the Beast – Disney – $4.9M
- Circle, The – STX Entertainment – $4.0M
- Baahubali: The Conclusion – Great India Films – $3.2M
- Gifted – Fox Searchlight – $2.0M
- Going In Style – Warner Bros. – $1.9M
- Smurfs: The Lost Village – Sony – $1.8M
The top 10 worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, May 07, are below.
- Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 – Disney – $268.8M
- Baahubali: The Conclusion – Multiple – $47.2M
- Fate Of The Furious, The – Universal – $38.6M
- Boss Baby, The – 20th Century Fox – $23.2M
- Beauty and the Beast – Disney – $16.8M
- How to be a Latin Lover – Lionsgate – $10.8M
- Dangal – UTV Comm – $10.7M
- Get Out – Universal – $9.0M
- Smurfs: The Lost Village – Sony – $7.4M
- Sheriff – N/A – $7.3M
What do you think of this weekendâ€™s box office performance? Let us know in the comments down below!
Don’t forget to share this post on your Facebook wall and with your Twitter followers! Just hit the buttons on the top of this page.
SOURCE: comScore, Box Office Mojo