J.K. Rowling sure seems poised to keep expanding her Harry Potter universe. We know she’s making her screenwriting debut on the spin off film based on her book Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them, which is set within that world, but now she’s surprised fans with a new story on the Pottermore website. It’s nothing major, but it’s her first published foray into writing about Harry’s life after Hogwarts.
The post is done in the style of a gossip piece, and it was “written” by Rita Skeeter- the infamously malicious writer for the Daily Prophet. In it, Rowling gives us a peak at what Harry and company are up to these days.
Here’s what up with Dumbledore’s Army:
– They were all spotted attending the Quidditch World Cup together.
– Ginny is a reporter, and she’s there to cover the game. Skeeter gives an indication that their marriage may be a bit on the rockier side these days.
– Harry has a new scar on his face. This time it’s on his cheek. Comes with the territory, of course, when you work as an Auror for the Ministry of Magic- which Harry has been doing. Harry’s pushing 34 and “there are a couple of threads of silver in the famous Auror’s black hair, but he continues to wear the distinctive round glasses that some might say are better suited to a style-deficient twelve-year-old,” says Skeeter.
– Poor Ron. He, too, worked for the Ministry but has now wound up as a co-manager for his brothers’ magic shop.
– Hermione, ever the over-achiever, is working her way up the ranks of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement- where she’s currently a Deputy.
– Lune Lovegood is still a space cadet, and Neville Longbottom is now a professor of Herbology at Hogwarts.
If you’re interested to see if Rowling intends to post more stories like these, I suggest you head on over to Pottermore and register with the site.
Nice to know what the old gang is up to.